British-American Insurance (B.A.) commenced operations in Trinidad in 1956 with the first agency called
"Port of Spain District" and it was situated on Frederick Street .
The first agent of our Port of Spain agency was Lipton Chee. Frank Xavier, Egbert Awai, Paul Emmanuel, Reggie Huggins, Neville Agostini, Peter Hearn, and Richard Cuthbert soon joined him. The secretary of the company was the interminable Angela Moniz, who stayed with us until her retirement in 1988.
After the first year, we were already becoming a household name synonymous with insurance protection; and the company's sales staff did so well that they all qualified to attend the first ever Lee Club Convention which was held in Cuba in 1957.
Within the next two years, the company established three other agencies - San Fernando, St. Augustine and San Juan. Eventually, the San Juan and St. Augustine agencies were merged; and the Arima agency was formed.
The Company started in Trinidad as an industrial company selling and collecting small premiums at people's homes. Through the latter part of the 1970's and especially in the 1980's, the Company made a change and started to aggressively market the large ordinary policies. In 1997, British-American was acquired by CL Financial and the Head Office was moved from Bahamas to Trinidad.
Today, our Company has six (6) Customer Service Centres. The Centres are located in Port of Spain, Tunapuna, Chaguanas, San Fernando, Tobago and at our Head Office in Barataria.